Thursday, October 17, 2013

Main Title (from "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids") - James Horner


[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlGuSboxrCw]


I had almost completely forgotten about this movie, but as I was searching the web for great instrumentals that accompany Disney films, I ran across this one. Horner does a great job catching the feel of the movie. Specifically, to me, this song captures the crazy adventure of which the shrunken kids are going to be a part and the idea of the crazy scientist father doing experiments in the basement...or I think the attic in this case. Regardless, the song seems to sum up the nature of the film right from the get go.


I can't let a post about a Rick Moranis go without mentioning his retirement. Moranis had several big hits to his name, including Ghostbusters, Spaceballs, and The Flintstones. Just when it seemed like he was in the middle of his career, Moranis announced his retirement from acting. His reasoning is completely understandable in my opinion.


After losing his wife to breast cancer in 1991, he fought to maintain a career and be a father; being a father won the fight. Moranis left his acting job to stay home and raise his children. That's very admirable as I see it. To put it in his own words, "I'm a single parent, and I just found that it was too difficult to manage raising my kids and doing the traveling involved in making movies. So, I took a little bit of break, and the little bit of a break turned into a longer break, and then, I found I didn't really miss it."

No comments:

Post a Comment