Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Armed Forces Medley - The Vocal Majority

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLG4SGYC0E4]


I almost shut this video down when I first saw it. I love a capella, but I don't really care for the immulation of musical instruments by voice, as heard at the very beginning of this video. However, I'm glad I finished it. Other than that small piece (that's repeated a couple times throughout), this sounds great.


The Vocal Majority is a men's chorus based in Dallas, TX. They have won a record eleven International Chorus Championships. That's all the more impressive when you know that after winning, a group can't compete for two years. Yeah, so, these guys are pretty good.


The songs they're singing are a medley of the songs that represent each form of the US military. The most famous of which, in my opinion, is "Anchors Away". If nothing else, it's my favorite of the themes. The song is actually the fight song for the US Naval Academy, and it's been around over 100 years, originally written in 1906.

No comments:

Post a Comment