Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Santa Claus is Comin' to Town - Bruce Springsteen


[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khpk9274gMg]


This tune is probably one of my least favorite Christmas songs. Written and first performed in 1934, the song has been covered by countless artists and groups. Regardless of the number of covers, I've only ever heard two that I even sort of enjoyed. The one I enjoyed the most was from a very unexpected artist for me, Barry Manilow, of which there is not a good recording available online. This take by Springsteen is next in line, and it's the more familiar one to most people.


Springsteen's live version, recorded in 1978, is played on Christmas radio quite often. It features former, late band member Clarence Clemons (saxophone) performing the part of Santa. Clemons would "ho, ho, ho" throughout the song, wearing a Santa Hat. The track was released as a B-side to the song "My Hometown".

No comments:

Post a Comment