Thursday, May 26, 2011

Gettin' Jiggy With It - WIll Smith

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JcmQONgXJM]


I really like that Smith samples classic RnB and soul music in almost all of his songs. This song is sampled from a Sister Sledge tune, "He's the Greatest Dancer" and a Ja'net Dubois tune, "Movin' On Up". I think it shows a lot of respect for the music. Some people might say he's just ripping it off the original artist, but I just don't see it that way. I think that most of Smith's music is underrated, especially his stuff from his time as Fresh Prince. It's all very hip-hop and not so much rap, and lies mostly in the area of novelty music. That's what makes me dig it. I'm sure you've heard this before, but you should really listen to the different parts.


The song was his first big hit as a solo artist, after breaking away from his partner DJ Jazzy Jeff. The song was #1 on the Hot 100 in 1998, and you could hear it everywhere you went. It also one a Grammy for Best Rap Solo Performance. The term "jiggy" is meant to reference the derogatory term "jigaboo", which Smith turned on its head in this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment