Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Sharona - The Knack

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3ADektyDhM]




First things first: I realize that the pictures and album covers shown are not for The Knack but are in fact for The Ramones. I chose this video very purposefully. I'm proving a point that so often people mistake one band for another. Often times this happens because a singer will have more than one band, such as Corey Taylor being the lead singer for both Stone Sour and Slipknot. Sometimes it happens because two bands sound quite similar, as is the case with song "Closing Time" that is actually performed by Semisonic, but often believed to have been recorded by Third Eye Blind. There are other reasons, but those are two good ones. With that said, I can't understand why someone would think this is The Ramones.


This is one of my favorite songs of all time...well, this is one of my favorite goofy, fun songs of all time. A few years ago, I was really kind of uptight about the music I was willing to play with bands of which I was a member. I've mellowed out a lot, and I would play this song in a heartbeat now. I was initially turned off, even though I liked the song, because it's silly. It's just a fun song to play. What I didn't realize at the time was that people like songs like this for that very reason. Yes, people want songs that move them and make them think about themselves and the world around them differently, but a lot of the time they want songs like this that let them forget all that and just have fun.


Doug Fieger, the group's lead singer, was inspired to write the song, along with many others, after meeting Sharona Alperin. At the time, he was twenty-five, and she was only seventeen, hence the references to the "touch of the younger kind". The two would be a couple for several years after that. The groove for the song was created by Berton Averre, who played the guitar riff and drum beat for Fieger years earlier. It wasn't until this romantic inspiration that he would create the lyrics for the song.



No comments:

Post a Comment