Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Walkin' on the Sun - Smash Mouth

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj6xU-pYaKM]


When this came out, I was a freshman in high school...I think. No, it was the year before I started high school. That's when I really remember hearing it for the first time, though. I'd never quite heard anything like it on the radio at that time. Steve Harwell, the group's lead vocalist, has a very distinct voice, and the song just has a cool groove.  I don't know any of there other stuff outside of their covers ("I'm a Believer" & "Can't Get Enough of You Baby") and their other big hit "All Star", but I wouldn't have any misgivings about jumping into their discography and giving their other stuff a try.


The song, which is one view of hippie movment of the sixties, was the band's debut single. It definitely set the tone for the sound the band would have through their career. It was also a huge hit for the group. It took the #2 spot on the Hot 100, and it took the top spot on several other charts.

No comments:

Post a Comment