Tuesday, August 16, 2011

With a Little Help from my Friends - Joe Cocker

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wG6Cgmgn5U]


This was originally a Beatles song, but sometimes it takes the right artist to really bring out the best in a song. Cocker put his own spin on this one, and it's really the version most people remember. If for no other reason, a lot people know this song from it's place as the theme song to The Wonder Years. Cocker's version was released just a couple years after the original, but against the daunting success of the Beatles' take, it performed well, appeared on the documentary about Woodstock, and later, in 2001, it was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. The above version was recorded at Queens Golden Jubilee.


As I was searching for this video on YouTube, I came across another version I liked.  It's a performance of the song by Bon Jovi.  As far as I know, the band never recorded a studio version of the song, but I do like the live one. One of my favorite things about music is how a song can change from one artist to the next, each spinning their own interpretation on the music.


[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64W62ZXgEQU]



Other Discursive Posts that Contain Beatles References:
-- Hey Jude -- While My Guitar Gently Weeps --
-- Come Together -- Judy in Disguise --
-- Eleanor Rigby -- Let it Be -- Twist & Shout --

No comments:

Post a Comment