Saturday, September 17, 2011

Ain't That a Kick in the Head - Dean Martin

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zBszbgkH8g]


I have seen so many covers of this song over the years, BUT - and I'm sure all those artists would agree - nobody does it like Dean. The voice, the stage presence, the humor...you just can't compete with that. I couldn't find live performance from Dean, but a live audio recording of Dean sounds just like the studio every time I've seen the videos in the past. Plus, if you were to ask a person who knows nothing about swing/jazz/big band, this, along with "New York, New York", "In the Mood" and "that Chips Ahoy! song" ("Sing, Sing, Sing"), would probably be one of the top ones of which people would think. It's a classic for sure.


The video I picked for this entry is from the original Ocean's 11. This version isn't as strong as Martin's studio recording, but I'll still take his interpretation over most others. The recording you hear is an alternate take of the song. It features Red Norvo on vibraphone with his quartet. It was written in 1960 and first recorded by Martin later that year.


No comments:

Post a Comment