Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning) - Alan Jackson

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PwWkV4HQ4]


Jackson performed this song for the first time live (it was really the first time most people had heard it) at the CMAs in 2001. You can hear and see the emotion just emanating from him and a few others that are shown in the audience. I think he captured our feelings as a nation better than anyone else that tried. His lyrics are able to capture the way many different types of people were feeling, as opposed to the sentiments one segment of the population other artists captured.


The song was the lead single from Jackson's 2002 album, Drive. The song was a #1 hit for five weeks on the Hot Country Singles and Tracks chart, and it garnered a #28 spot on the Hot 100. Jackson described his thoughts about writing a song based on the 9/11 attacks, saying "I didn't want to write a patriotic song, and I didn't want it to be vengeful either, but I didn't want to forget about how I felt and how I knew other people felt." On the ten year anniversary of that day, I can't imagine a better song to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment