Saturday, September 10, 2011

You Are the Best Thing - Ray LaMontagne

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g25ZjKBXw8Q]


I usually try to not repeat artists (or at least so far I have with a couple of exceptions), but I really wanted to put this song on the blog. I was going to yesterday and found LaMontagne's cover of "Crazy" by Gnarl's Barkley. I had to put it up yesterday, but here's another great one. His voice here sounds JUST like the recording, and I love that. I hate to hear a person's voice on a recording be tweaked and autotuned to make it better than it actually is. This song is great, too. It's about having that someone special around that is always good for you even when everything else goes to hell.  The song was released on his album, Gossip in the Grain, and reached #90, just barely breaking the Hot 100.


LaMontagne has been compared to a lot of artists, but more than any other, I hear Otis Redding, particularly in this song. There's something about the feel or the changes in the sections of the song that remind me a lot of "Dock of the Bay". It may be a similar sound in the horns or something else, a deeper music theory underlying the sound of which I'm not aware, but I can definitely hear the similarities.

No comments:

Post a Comment