Thursday, October 20, 2011

(Don't Fear) The Reaper (Blue Oyster Cult cover) - Pierce the Veil


[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ3KIJ7irSE]


Again, the Punk Goes... series hits another winner with me.  This cover of the Blue Oyster Cult's song just has a little more kick than the original. I love the song to begin with, and it fits the season, at least by title. The song's meaning may not be as much in tune with the creepy season, though.


The song is about love and dealing with death's inevitability, how we shouldn't fear death, because we can't stop it. The song was written by Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser about his imagined early death. His references to Romeo and Juliet are about how the couple believed they would meet again in the afterlife, not specficially about their murder-suicide pact. I can understand what pushes someone to write a song like this. I get caught up in imagining what-if scenarios pretty regularly myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment