Sunday, October 16, 2011

Midnight in Montgomery - Alan Jackson

October Theme: Halloween & Spooky Things


[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjegQY28W04]


I can't think of an instrument with a more haunting quality than the steel guitar. This is a song about stopping by Hank Williams' burial site and being visited by his ghost. If that doesn't work for a Halloween tune, I don't know what will. The whole track has a seriously haunting tone and sound to it. I can't listen to it without getting chills, every time.

Written by Jackson and collaborator Don Sampson for Jackson's album Don't Rock the Jukebox, "Midnight' was a #3 hit on the country charts. Throughout the song, you can hear drops of Williams' songs, most notably the line "I'm so lonesome I could cry". It's not until the very last line of the song that we know definitively whom the song is about, but Alan makes it very clear when he says, "Hank's always singing there".

No comments:

Post a Comment