Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Broken Wing - Martina McBride

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbcEWfM9ZmI]


I was fortunate to have a female vocalist in the first serious band I was ever in that could handle a song like this, and that's no small feat. McBride has, by far, one of the strongest vocals in all of music, not just country and not just female vocals. Her pitch and tone are almost always perfect. More importantly to me, though, she's got a smooth voice to accompany all that power, knowing when to lay back and when to belt it out, and this song is a perfect example of that ability. It's also one of my favorite songs to play, with the understanding that groups I've been in always put a bit more of a bluesy spin on the tune.


"Broken Wing" was the second of many #1 hits for McBride, following "Wild Angels" that nabbed the top spot two years earlier, in 1995. Her album, Evolution, would see one other chart topper, "Wrong Again." This wouldn't be her last climb to the top either. She would follow it with "I Love You" from 1999's Emotion and "Blessed" from her 2001 Greatest Hits collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment