Monday, November 7, 2011

Dumas Walker - Kentucky Headhunters

 [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTBWiUkR69w]


The Headhunters didn't make it big until the early nineties, but they had been playing together since the sixties. The group was originally comprised of two sets of brothers and one cousin to fill it out the extra spot. Their style has been described as heavy metal bluegrass, but I'd call it more of a honky-tonk country sound with some southern rock influence.


This is one of the first songs I can remember my dad's band covering when I was a kid, it shuffles hard, and I love it. The guitar leads are structured so well, and the guitar tones are amazing, fitting just the right sound. The drummer is the most recognizable artist of the group due to that coon skin cap and no shirt look. If you don't know these guys, check them out some time. They've got a lot of good tunes, and they don't seem to have let the little fame they experienced get to them. Their greatest hits album, The Best of the Kentucky Headhunters: Still Pickin', is one of my favorite best of collections ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment