Saturday, November 5, 2011

Knock on Wood - Cher

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMgMekl6xp8]


There are a few Cher tunes that are big enough radio hits that everyone knows them, but to be honest, I can't think of one off the top of my head. I do know that I've listened to some of her stuff, enough to know I don't much care for it. That's why I was so surprised when I found this!


"Knock on Wood" was originally recorded by Eddie Floyd. It was written by him and Steve Cropper, of Blues Brothers and Booker T & the MGs fame. It has been covered by just about everyone from Michael Bolton to Buddy Guy. One of the most popular versions - unfortunately - is the seventies disco version by Amii Stewart. It's VERY disco, and I don't like it.


There are lots of good versions of this, but I chose this one because I just happened to stumble on it when I was looking for a video to go with this post. My first thought was: REALLY?!?!? I assumed this was going to be a horrid rendition that I was going to hate with an equal passion that I hate the Stewart version; however, the intro caught me right away. Most versions start with the standard horn riff that everyone knows. This one kicks off a little differently, with guitar. Give it a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment