Monday, November 28, 2011

Jingle Bells? - Barbara Streisand

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nq0CuUKTjc]


I first heard an arrangement of this version written as a percussion feature. I then started looking around to find another recording of it, and sure enough, Streisand was the one to find. Her version appeared on the album, A Christmas Album, in 1967. The new arrangement of the classic song was written by Jack Gold and Marty Paich. With the help of this song and other hits included in the track list, this album became one of Streisand's best-selling collections and one of the best-selling Christmas albums of 1967.


It's honestly kind of strange that I like this version.I don't care for the traditional song, because it just comes off as too corny, a child's song, but this version goes even deeper into making the song silly, but for some reason, I like it. I'm not a Christmas music snob by any means. I've always tried to get bands I've been in to learn a couple holiday songs, but everyone's almost always against it, thinking it's too corny or it's below them or something, I guess. I think it's just that people get too serious about music, or they're just too uptight to have fun on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment