Saturday, November 26, 2011

We Three Kings - A Claymation Christmas Special

 [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnIFTtW1pko]


I remember this as one of the stand out Christmas specials from when I was a kid. I always enjoyed the running gag of "Here We Come a Wasseling" that ran throughout the special. I've researched a bit to see who performed this, but I can't seem to come up with anything. I assume it was just a cast of vocalists put together specifically for the special. Regardless, I like this rendition of the song a lot. I especially like how the doo-wopping camels keep stealing the song.


The song dates back to 1857. It was written by John Henry Hopkins, Jr. Serving as rector of a church in Williamsport, PA, he wrote the song to be part of a Christmas pageant. The song was performed in NYC that year, and it has since become one of the most popular Christmas songs of all time. The Bible doesn't actually give a number or a set of names for the Magi who visited Jesus upon his birth; furthermore, it doesn't even say that they were kings. Their number and royal status are assumed in legend based on the number and value of the gifts that were offered.

No comments:

Post a Comment