Sunday, November 20, 2011

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet (Bachman-Turner Overdrive cover)- Poorboys

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRL2Mly1CVo]


Update: This weird anime video is the only one on YouTube that has the cover of the song, so it's the one I'll use I guess. The one I originally used is no longer available.


The original cut of this song was laid down by Bachman-Turner Overdrive, but it just doesn't have the kick that this cover does. They add that kick solely by putting a lot of guitar distortion and heavier drums in the mix, but it works. The guys voice (at least in the studio) sounds good. I've never heard a live version. I imagine that this is probably the groups only claim to fame. I can't really find anything else about them online. Regardless, I like the song. The original take is a little wimpy in my opinion, and I'm sure that I'll get slammed by the purists for saying that, but particularly, I don't really care for the vocals at all on the BTO version.


As the story goes, the original track was what BTO called a work track, something to get mic levels and positioning set in the studio. They were working on their third album, and nearing the end of production, a Mercury Records rep suggested that the guys needed hit single on the record still. Some of the band members mentioned this song, and it was worked in to the album after a re-recording of the vocals. The stutter was intended as a joke for Randy Bachman's brother Gary, who had a stutter. During the re-recording, Randy tried to perform the vocals sans stutter, but it just didn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment