Saturday, June 9, 2012

Hurt Me Tomorrow - K'Naan

 [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E3c-X86Y6o]


I almost feel bad for posting this, because I've never heard of this guy before, and even though that's what this blog is about, I have other reasons for feeling bad. Mostly, the dude can't sing. That's just all there is to that. It's pitchy and off key and nasally and bad. I do like the song, though. The only thing that bothers me about the song is the name dropping. Some of them don't even make since.


For example, in the first verse, unless I'm just not understanding it, mentioning Billie Holiday and Marvin Gaye don't even mean anything to the song. Theyr're just some names to throw in the song in hopes it will connect with people based solely off of the recognition. Also, I think we've referenced Sinatra's "My Way" in this fashion plenty of times throughout music history; let's find another way to pay tribute to the man. The song also plays to one of my favorite things to tell people in bad relationships: end it now, because there won't ever be a good time to do it. People never listen, though. Of course, he's actually trying to get the girl to not end things, but you get the connection I'm making.

No comments:

Post a Comment