Thursday, June 7, 2012

Something Like That - Tim McGraw

 [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQBZ3-xHNok]


There's something about the "county fair" he talks about in this song. If you're from a rural area, you probably attended at least one. I attended a bunch. Between going to the ones my dad's band played at and the local county fair, I probably attended dozens. There's a strong allure to the event when you're a kid: the rides, the food, the music, the friendships, the girls.


I remember plenty of days spent at the fair with the same girl, well, it was a different girl each year. It's one of the first places that you ever go where you're kind of let out on your own that would kind of feel like a date, I guess. There's a kind of magic associated with it as a kid, and it's a magic that's hard to capture again.


McGraw's song isn't really about summer, but I'll bet almost everyone gets images of summer in their head when they hear the lyrics. He sounds pretty good live here, too. It's not as perfect as the CD, but you can't expect that. It's definitely better than a lot of singers sound live. The thing that really sells me on this tune, though, is the piano work.

No comments:

Post a Comment