Monday, September 30, 2013

Square One - Adam Marko

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8wHsh8KODo]


This video got me right from the start. One of my favorite "tricks" in the drumming world is the use of good cymbal work. That's exactly where Marko takes us at the beginning of the video. He's not just banging around on the cymbals either; he's using the domes of the bigger cymbals and the smaller splashes in a very melodic way.


Another thing I like about this video is the open sound of the drums. They don't sound overly compressed, and you can really hear the ring after the initial attack. In a lot of contemporary music, everything is so compressed you don't get that sound. It comes across as a single punch sound, missing out on all the overtones. Don't get me wrong, there can be way too many overtones, too, but this mix has the right balance in the middle.


I can remember one other time in the past that I've quoted directly from a band or artist website, and this will be the second. I don't think I could write a better description of this artist. "Adam (Marko) is the drummer and motor of the modern instrumental band Special Providence, which has become one of the most well known and upcoming jazz-metal quartets in the Eastern-Central European progressive scene with their virtuoso, yet easily digestible style." I didn't even know jazz-metal was a thing until I read that description.

No comments:

Post a Comment