Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Grim Grinning Ghosts - Buddy Baker

October Theme: Disney


[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSaqSVi--Ms]


While keeping with the October Disney theme, I decided that I could also work in a little Halloween flair, too. What's better for a Disney Halloween than the Haunted Mansion? I visited the Magic Kingdom a few years ago, and this was one of the rides I felt like I had to ride. There were a few others I missed, but I wasn't going to miss one of the most classic attractions in the park. The Haunted Mansion is just what I expected from a spooky ride at a family theme park. It's corny and more funny than scary. Any ride that has a movie themed after that turns out to star Eddie Murphy has to have an element of humor.


Buddy Baker composed the song, with lyrics written by Xavier Alencio, shortly before the original Haunted Mansion opened in Disneyland's New Orleans Square in 1969. Baker would work with Disney several times throughout his career, most notably for me on The Fox and the Hound. Alencio was a Disney Imagineer that not only wrote the lyrics for this song, but also helped design the ride. He worked on several other projects, too, including writing the story and lyrics for Pirates of the Caribbean, the story for Adventure Thru Inner Space, and working on many other classic Disney attractions. Near the end of the Haunted Mansion ride you encounter set of five statues singing a capella the tune you've been hearing throughout the ride. They became even more popular when showcased in a scene from the movie. I love this style of music, and I couldn't help but post the scene below.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVs7CETJqYI]

No comments:

Post a Comment