Tuesday, October 8, 2013

When I See An Elephant Fly - Plain White T's


[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD6jNjJGbLo]


I'm not usually very crazy about the songs from this series of albums. The series takes classic Disney songs and produces covers of them by contemprary pop artists. Most of the time they just make them sound like cheesy radio hits. This one doesn't come out that badly, though, in my opinion, because it kept things pretty simple. It's not over produced, just the guys from the band singing along with an acoustic guitar. It's not the first time the band has written a good song in that simplistic format.


I still prefer the original song of course, and I've posted the video below. You can watch it and see why some criticize the crow characters, claiming that they are a racial stereotype. However, that claim, argued on both sides, is dismissed by most. The funniest thing to me is that the crows are more mocking of Timothy Mouse than Dumbo himself.


Plain White T's is a Chicago based pop-punk group that made their big hit with the song "Hey There Delilah" (the same acoustic format as this song), which was nominated for two Grammy Awards. The band has had success with a few other songs, most notably "1, 2, 3, 4".  I like the bands music generally, and I was first introduced to them as the opening act for Fall Out Boy several years ago.


[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v2exWrsGOc]

No comments:

Post a Comment