Friday, November 1, 2013

I Think I'll Just Stay Here and Drink - Merle Haggard

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuJ9rNSImQA]


I've never been enough of a Haggard fan to go out and look up a lot of his music. Just about everyone is familiar with "Okie from Muskogee" and "Workin' Man Blues," but Haggard had a lot more up his sleeve. His songs are sometimes a lot of fun, and this one is a good example those fun times. Haggard wrote and recorded the song for Back to the Barrooms. That's an appropriately titled album for the song, I think. It hit a chord with his fans, too, becoming his 26th #1 hit.


This song was made familiar to me by performing with Mr. Eddie Riffe in Ashland, KY. Eddie puts on a good show. He doesn't just stand on stage and sing; he makes sure to have fun and try to connect with his audience. He's one of the most entertaining performers with which I've ever worked.


02/06/2017 Update: This cover from the A&E series Crazy Hearts: Nashville recently hit my radar, and it's a great cover. Leroy Powell really does the Hag some justice here. I love this groove.


[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5f3TOGgOk0]

No comments:

Post a Comment