Saturday, November 30, 2013

Quarter Master - Snarky Puppy

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1cskIan5Jw]


I can't believe that I've never stumbled onto this group on my own. It took a Facebook post from a friend to make the introduction. I'm often searching for horn bands on YouTube, and I have the hardest time finding the type of thing I'm looking for in my search. Well, this is definitely it.


Snarky Puppy is an instrumental group originally based in Texas. They made about 200 stops through a tour and different workshops over the course of 2013. They are firm believers in live performance, and as you can see, their record is really just a live recording. The band has excellent musicians all around and is a lot of fun to watch. Their current CD/DVD is available on their website and is titled Family Dinner, Vol. 1.


On a more personal note, this goes to show that I'm correct in my beliefs about recording. I once worked with a producer who insisted that I wasn't playing (drums) loud enough for the studio. He complimented me by saying that I play with technique, but most of the drummers they have in would've broken a couple pairs of sticks by lunch and possibly even a head. This all went down in the fine recording mecca of Nashville, TN, FYI, with a very old-school producer.


Anyway, that's now how I play. Watching this video, you can see that the drummer, Robert "Sput" Searight, is not breaking anything, and his playing is being recorded just fine. If you're not going to record the music dynamically, then you're not recording music, are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment