Thursday, November 28, 2013

Rock of Ages - Def Leppard

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sk5aeUoOjw]


I have never been a big fan of this group, but they were one of the bands that shaped music in the eighties. This tune is not one of their biggest successes, reaching only #16 on the "Hot 100". Many of their other songs ("Pour Some Sugar on Me", "Hysteria", "Love Bites", etc.) were much more popular, including "Photograph", the song that made them a household name.


I picked this song for today, because, unlike many of my peers, I've never performed it with a band with which I've performed. Recently joining a new band, it fell into my repertoire. The intro of the song is a drum beat performed by Rick Allen, the band's famously one-armed drummer.


I'm honestly having the hardest time working this beat out, because it goes against the natural instinct built into my motor memory. I could probably easily work it out, but I don't have any rehearsal space and can't practice on my own. It's not that complicated, but I just can't seem to make my arms and legs do what my brain says. The fact that I'm not all that big a fan of the song/band may have something to do with it, too, just avoiding working on the song. So, in light of not taking up full band rehearsal time, I just get as close as I can to something that sounds right. You gotta do what you gotta do.

No comments:

Post a Comment