Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Time After Time - Miles Davis

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OddHP8_Em7s]


Originally recorded by Cyndi Lauper, this song was her most successful single behind "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", and in my opinion, is a far better song. The song was heralded as one of the 80's greatest ballads. Even today it still gets regular radio play on adult contemporary radio. It's been covered by lots of artists, including Rob Thomas, Sara McLaughlin, and Patti LaBelle.


There is something about the song that is different from any other with which I'm familiar. I can't even put into words the feeling it evokes. It's lost somewhere between hopeful and melancholy. I know it's not one I can listen to on a regular basis; I have to be in the right mood. Still, it's definitely become a classic in its own right. For someone like Davis to put a jazz touch on it makes it all that more wistful.

No comments:

Post a Comment