Monday, November 4, 2013

The Great Pretender - Thomas Crane

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUQ2iA0rBWc&w=560&h=315]


I can't really decide whether I think it's awesome or creepy that this guy has a stage in his living room. I mean, I can't say I wouldn't have one if I could afford it, but I think I'd have to have a separate room for it. It couldn't just be sitting there next to my couch. Yeah, I guess it's kind of weird. Anyway...


What I can say for sure is that I was pretty impressed with Crane's performance. Any time you watch one of these contest type shows and a contestant claims to sound like someone famous, you take just a second and squirm just a little, waiting to see if it's true or if the person is delusional. In the case where someone claims to be able to imitate someone like Freddy Mercury, you really have to pause; that's no easy feat.


I have to say, though, I was pretty impressed. Crane doesn't sound exactly like Freddy, but he does, gnereally, have a similar tone, and there are a few moments in his performance where it's almost uncanny. His visual performance leaves a little something to be desired. While he does favor the famous singer a bit and he has some of the signature moves down, he seems to be doing the same moves over and over. I'm going to chalk that up to nerves for his first performance on the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment