Thursday, December 12, 2013

Merry Christmas Baby - Eric Clapton & Sheryl Crow


[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4QAXj33hQ0]


I've posted one other version of this song in the past, and it was pretty much my favorite performance of the song until I stumbled across this one. I've never been a big fan of Crow's, but recently I've stumbled onto some stuff that makes me think I should be. I've apparently just been listening to the wrong stuff all these years. Her radio hits are OK, but as with many artists, those tunes are not necessarily her best work. Here, she and Clapton both tear it up throughout the song, and the band backs them up, playing very tight.

The song was written by Lou Baxter and Johnny Moore. The original recording, released by Moore and his group Three Blazers, had a much bluesier feel to it than modern recordings. It also featured Charles Brown, who was a major influence in the development of blues, on piano. The slow pace of the original tune doesn't fit by taste, though, and I prefer something with a little more punch, which is exactly what the above recording adds.

No comments:

Post a Comment