Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sleigh Ride - The Ronnettes


[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co7ZGOjGV4A]




This is, by far, one of my favorite songs around the holiday season. I'm a much bigger fan of the arrangements that involve a horn section, but this Motown-esque cover of the song is catchy. After hearing it, I often find myself walking around singing "ring-a-ling-a-ling-a-ding-dong-ding". The song almost sounds like "Heat Wave" in parts, which is funny, because...


The composer of the original song, Leroy Anderson, was struck with the idea for the tune in a heat wave of 1946, but he didn't finish writing it until 1948. As I mentioned once before, this tune is not a Christmas song; it's only been associated with Christmas over the years. Despite the original intent of the song's author, it was ranked in the top ten of Christmas songs by ASCAP four years in a row, 2009 - 2012.



No comments:

Post a Comment