Wednesday, December 18, 2013

This Christmas - Chicago


December Theme: 25 Days of Christmas


[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGBgzz6Q8lM]


I've been looking for a version of this song that I really dug for a while. I should've known that I could count on Chicago to lay down the track I was looking for all along. The rhythm section is tight, the drums hammer straight through syncopated rhythms to make them stand out all the more, and the horns are a big focal point as always; plus, they know exactly when to lay back just let it groove. I've heard lots of different takes on this tune, but this one is definitely the tops that I've heard so far.


The song was written in 1970 by Donny Hathaway (credited as his stage name: Donny Pitts) and Nadine McKinnor. The song has been covered many, many times by a wide mix of artists. Everyone from Chris Brown to The Summer Set to Michael McDonald to the Temptations has taken a swing at this tune, but Chicago are the ones that nailed it.



No comments:

Post a Comment