Thursday, June 23, 2011

25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0fLg17PaRg]


This was one of the first rock tunes with horns that I really fell in love with. We played this song in my high school jazz band, and I have to give props to my band director for introducing us all to some great music. I know that the addition of songs like "A Night in Tunisia," "Minnie the Moocher," and this one broadened my musical horizons in a big way. For the longest time, though, I just knew I liked this song, and I had no idea what it meant. Later, I would find out that that's the case for most people.


To enlighten you, it's not some deep meaning. Robert Lamm, a founding member of the group, wrote the song in the wee hours of the morning. The song itself is about writing a song. The idea came to him at around 3:35 or 3:36 AM...twenty-five or twenty-six minutes to 4:00 AM. So, hopefully, you can sleep a little better tonight knowing that, or maybe you'll wake up and right a song that will become part of the American culture for years to come. Then, twenty years later, you record a re-released, crazy, futuristic version of the song like the one below. The song also has some fame, if that's the right word to use, for sounding like Led Zeppelin's, "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You."


[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktf7fGvufoU]

No comments:

Post a Comment