Friday, June 17, 2011

Foggy Mountain Breakdown - Earl Scruggs & Friends

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icMTVV5Lwaw]


This is one of the few bluegrass songs (understand I don't listen to much of it) that I actually enjoy. I know it's one of those that real bluegrass enthusiasts are tired of being their anthem, but it's a good tune. It's much like the "Sweet Home Alabama" of the bluegrass world in that respect. This is a great recording on The Late Show with David Letterman.


The players in this video as best I can gather from different sources online are: Earl Scruggs (Banjo), Steve Martin (Banjo), Randy Scruggs (Guitar), Vince Gill (Guitar), Albert Lee (Guitar), Marty Stuart (Mandolin), Gary Scruggs (Harmonica), Jerry Douglas (Dorbo), Paul Shaffer (Piano), Glen Duncan (Fiddle), and I have no idea who is playing drums and bass. I am a drummer that firmly believes drums do not belong in bluegrass, and although bass definitely does, I can't tell who that is at all. Regardless, it's an impressive display of talent.


The song was first recroded in 1949 by Scruggs and the Foggy Mount Boys. It has since become a standard in bluegrass. It has been used in several different TV shows and movies as background music, including 1967's Bonnie & Clyde. The performance above won the song a Grammy in 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment