Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Two Princes - Spin Doctors

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdy_rct6uo]


This song is catchy and it tells a story. Story telling in music is so important, and I think that's why I still latch on to country music the way I do. There are other genres that tell stories, though. This group proves that here. The bass line is really funky - more so than you might perceive - in this song, and I think the drums are way more active than you'll find in a lot of pop-rock bands. Plus, this song has a guitar solo! What happened to music with instrument solos anyway? Wherever those songs are, they don't seem to be on the radio.


I don't know exactly what it is about performing this song live that makes the lead singer, Chris Barron, feel the need to replace the cool scat line right after the first verse with a sort of bellowing run of mostly crazy notes, but it happens in every live video I could find. So, I went with the studio version. That scat line is one of my favorite parts of the song. Why would you do that? Also, if your'e a fan of this tune, you should check out "Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind. Released about four after "Two Princes," the Third Eye Blind hit sounds awfully similar.


 

1 comment:

  1. Very educational....look frontward to coming back again. http://www.sell-up-north.co.uk/author/kurteuler50/

    ReplyDelete